4.22.2014

the bindi project


I need to discuss something serious with you all. It's music festival season and I'm excited (Governor's Ball, here I come) but also quite irked by some of the garb that people have been sporting. I'm talking about appropriation in the name of fashion. 

So, I'm Indian. I wear a bindi every day by habit, and because it's an important part of my culture. 

When I was younger, the dot on my forehead caused a lot of confusion among those around me. 
"What is that?" they'd ask, furrowing their eyebrows.
"Is that a pimple between your eyebrows?" they'd ask, crinkling their nose. 
"Your head is bleeding!" they'd exclaim, pointing at me in horror. 
And I'd have to explain that it was a bottu (that's what we call it in Telugu, the language I speak), and that it was just something I was used to wearing. I never got into the technicalities of it because a) I didn't know back then and b) When I did learn of it, I didn't want to confuse them with the details. I couldn't take offense though, it felt wrong for me to. They were just curious, after all. Rudely so, but still...curious.


Growing up, I learned of the plight that Indians in the States faced when the racist and bigoted Dot Busters would make their rounds. I learned of this horrendous "joke": 

What time is it? 7-Eleven on the dot. 

Ha. 

Therefore, when I see girls and guys (usually White) wearing crystals on their foreheads at Coachella, I can't help but feel deeply insulted. These people are taking a part of my culture, something that my fellow Indians got harassed about in the Western world, and commodifying it. 

Before someone argues that they're celebrating and appreciating the culture, let me just explain how they are most definitely NOT. By sporting a bindi as a fashion accessory to add bling to an outfit, they are washing away the bloody history behind it. They are choosing to forget the hatred and racism that Indians had to face (and still face) because of their cultural practices. Why was it not okay for people of the Indian heritage to wear a bindi? But why is it okay for people outside the culture to treat it with fascination, or throw one on for pizzazz? 

I just wanted to bring this issue to light because a couple of my favorite fashion bloggers (not dropping any names) have recently worn bindis for style's sake. Obviously it is not entirely their fault; perhaps they just did not know of the offensive nature. On that note, however, it is important to become aware of how what you do or say might hurt another. 

Ah, well, here's a couple happy photos to show that I still love people -- I just wish more of them would start realizing the consequences of their actions.


-Sampada

P.S. Other examples of cultural appropriation: wearing Native American tribal headgear, getting "tribal" tattoos, Katy Perry, Devendra Banhart...I could list so many more celebrities (ahem Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, everyone else really....). Just remember that people's heritages and cultures are not things to be modified for our aesthetic pleasures. 





SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Oooh, such a good topic to talk about. I remember seeing Coachella photos (namely Vanessa Hudgens) sporting bindis and what not in the name of fashion.
    I've always felt uncomfortable taking on another culture's traditions if I'm not personally a part of it. It just feels false, and not to mention insulting! Great points you mentioned here.
    Also, I just love these photos of you. You are so beautiful!

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. Not to mention, it's taking something that's culturally significant and turning it into something temporary and disposable, a mere "trend." And it's used often to indicate some sort of "exotic-ness," which is problematic in itself. I find it interesting that even in the South Asian community the topic of whether this is cultural appropriation or not is debated. I don't know if you read this Huffington Post article, but it was published a few days ago and the author was not offended by it at all. What irritates me the most is when people are told that its offensive... yet continue to do it anyways, specially public figures *cough* Selena Gomez *cough**cough**.

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look beautiful with a bindi! I have never personally considered wearing it myself and I honestly didn't even know the meaning behind it until now, I used to be so curious about it as a child. And I agree that there has been so much cultural appropriation lately, What I hate is when people wear the Hijab as an accessory. (The Hijab is a scarf worn by muslim women to cover their heads) I have seen a couple of celebrity's wear them as an accessory and as a Muslim woman myself, I think it is so offensive simply because it is NOT an accessory, the Hijab has a meaning behind it, and even though I choose not to wear one myself, I respect everyone who wears it for the right reasons. I loved your article! not enough bloggers write about these things.

    http://sarassweetstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look so pretty! :)

    http://www.mesmemosphotoblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, you look beautiful! Secondly, culture appropriation is a terrible thing and it's frustrating that from what I've been reading lately - some people don't think it's a big deal, when it obviously is and it's really important to talk about. Bloggers - in this case, specifically fashion bloggers - should be more aware of the history of certain things they deem as accessories.

    onacruz blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look beautiful with a bindi!! Interesting post to read, I didn't know about it.. And I also think that girls (like at Coachella) who know nothing about the story behind it/don't have it in their culture shouldn't wear it!!

    xx

    lifeisroyalty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. FINALLY someone say it!! Thank you! I see some people around me wear it because they think it's "cool" as seen on Tumblr and Instagram. But I fail to make them understand the real thing. Thank you for the post.

    -Ru
    LOVESICKLILAC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bindi is beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete

© Sampz and Such. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig