I am not going to link anything now, but a couple of you have been with me since my baby blogger years. I'm talking before Rose et Violet, which was a lesson on its own. The summer before my sophomore year of high school, I discovered the niche world of fashion bloggers. Rumi, Rebecca, Susie, Arabelle (currently active here), Tavi (currently EIC of Rookie, among other things), Jane, and Alix were among the more prominent ones that were slowly making a place for themselves in the fashion world. I noticed that they had more intel on and access to the industry than the common fashion-lover, which was enough to make a young me want to be a part of that experience. What really fueled my drive, however, was their impeccable sense of style and how individualized each of their sartorial preferences were. Even when they were being trendy, they managed not to lose themselves. Super inspired, I started a blog of my own, and it was a very unapologetic expression of my mind, with a large focus on fashion and music.
Since the digital media aspect of life in general was still fairly low-key then (at least, compared to the heights it has reached today), my fashion post content prioritized fashion shows and editorial spreads. Slowly my interest transitioned to street style. And then, I stopped blogging. I took a break.
Then Rose et Violet came into existence, and after another hiatus and a split, Sampz and Such came to be...
My history as a blogger seems pretty irrelevant in the context of nothing, but lately my insecurities have hit an all time high. It's come to the point where my passion for all things fashion has become questionable. I am no longer as intrigued as I once was, and if I am, it is for the wrong reasons. Instead of wishing to stay informed and educated about the fashion industry, I only seem to be interested in one-upping my peers in terms of style. Some of this may be, in part, because of the fewer responsibilities I had in high school, and the greater time and space to which I could dedicate reading up on the happenings of the industry. But I hate chalking things up to a lack of time, because proper management and enough determination can allow for anything to happen, especially considering all the resources that I am fortunate enough to have within hand's reach.
Writing all this was less of a means to educate y'all on my origins in terms of the blogging and more of a way to remind myself why I started blogging. I mean, I used to be the girl who had no inhibitions wearing this outfit. Where has my confidence gone?
I was just re-reading some rebuttals to the notorious Suzy Menkes piece about peacocking at Fashion Week, and they got me thinking that (among other thoughts that might be discussed in future posts) while everything seems fairly pointless at this moment right now, there is a reason to the madness. I should not be ashamed of who I am, what clothes I wear, what I can afford or cannot afford, what I know or don't know...I should be proud of myself and my achievements so far because inhibitions cloud creativity, and creativity is key to success in this universe (yikes, that was a very generalized statement, but I'm going to leave it...).

In any case, when these photos were taken, I was so intensely happy. Although I wish I hadn't been such a stress ball during my vacation, I can safely say I had an amazing time in India and that I miss it very much. So much that I'm tearing up at the thought of it--and it's extremely embarrassing because I'm sitting in the middle of a very busy campus cafeteria as I write this. Yep, I'm that random person, quietly crying to herself and trying to disguise it as allergies/a cold.
Shilparamam chikankari top, Forever 21 pants, General Bazaar earrings


beautiful!
ReplyDeletexx
http://thedemeler.com
Love this black outfit on you!
ReplyDeletex Sophia
Personal blog | Tao of Sophia
Founder | Blog and The City
I'm sorry to hear about how things have been a bit difficult for you! I think we all get to a point like that sometimes, where things just don't click anymore, and it's all a big question of "Why?"
ReplyDeleteWith confidence, I've found I hit highs and lows. I go through phases of loving everything about myself and feeling unique and special, and then I compare myself ruthlessly to everyone on the street and picking at all my flaws.
Blogging and writing in general, sometimes just for myself, has helped me, and it seems like you enjoy sharing your feeling as well. I definitely think you should continue, and I'd love to continue reading more personal posts like this as you go through your journey! (:
Angelina Is | Bloglovin'
Great post! xx
ReplyDeletewww.fromluxewithlove.com
www.bloglovin.com/blogs/from-luxe-with-love-14590195
Glad your time in India was a good one - although I'm sorry the homesick feeling hit you so hard! *sends cyber hugs of comfort*
ReplyDeleteAhhh this was an interesting post to read girl! I totally understand too - in a highly digitalized world it can be hard to find your passion and reason for even trying to become a part of it. Sometimes I wonder the same and why I'm even bothering. But then I get that buzz of excitement and satisfaction that comes from creating content and I know I just want to do it for the sake of creating. Whatever that driving reason may be, I hope you rediscover it! <3
The Dragonfruit Diaries
Thanks for those hugs! It's definitely the first time I'm having such difficulty getting back to the norm... And thank you, I hope I am able to rekindle that drive <3
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate to extreme levels of confidence, I am rarely able to strike a healthy balance! And you're right, it's definitely cathartic and calming to put my thoughts into words so that they are somewhere other than my mind. It also allows one to reflect and really give some form to those thoughts and emotions! Thank you for reading, and for your kinds words <3
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! Hopefully things normalize soon, I wish you the best of luck!
ReplyDeleteAdi xx
www.fancycorrectitude.com
I've been following you since you started and I've always really enjoyed your perspective. You look stunning in this outfit. It's hard to always be confident, but it's just as easy to ignore those feelings. I'm proud of you for divulging into your feelings and trying to sort them out. Blogging is a great release and I'm glad you're still here sharing with us!
ReplyDeletehttp://midwest-muse.net
Such a deep toughts, totally undrestand you!
ReplyDeleteBeataba.blogspot.com ❃
I love this post and love this outfit!!
ReplyDeletewww.maggiealamode.com
you look great, your happiness really shines through <3
ReplyDeleteXO Sahra
Que Sera Sahra
I truly understand what you mean. I started my blog because I was a plus-size girl who loves dress up, and it was refreshing to see other girls who all look different all loving fashion. But now it's not like that anymore.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, you look very happy now :) keep blogging!
I love how honest this post is! We all get lost in things like that. We have to remind ourselves to blog for the love of blogging sometimes.
ReplyDeletewww.jeannechristinemarie.blogspot.com
love your style <3
ReplyDeletexo,
www.sahara-desert.com
You look so cute!
ReplyDeleteTake care,
xoxo Suzy ( ˘ ³˘)♥
THE KAWAII PLANET
Thank you, Suzy!
ReplyDeleteAw, thank you, Sahar! Means a lot :)
ReplyDeleteAh, thank you, Jeanne :)
ReplyDeleteI try not to get too honest in my posts, usually, but I like the feeling of liberation it gives.
I'm so glad to hear that, Sahra! Those were pretty happy times, thank you!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Maggie! <3
ReplyDeleteGlad you were able to relate, Beata! Thanks :)
ReplyDeleteJessica! Thanks so much for sticking around :) I remember we once did a themed outfit collective post for the holidays, and we hosted it here back when this was Rose-et-Violet haha... Thanks for being so sweet and encouraging! A post like this was just long overdue!
ReplyDeleteThank you , Adi :) They're getting there!
ReplyDeleteThanks! xx
ReplyDeleteThank you <3
ReplyDelete