10.21.2015

fragrance chase || part one


I recently ran out of my beloved Prada fragrance (*still crying*), and I am in the market for a new signature scent. To tide me over until I find the one, I have a Stella travel size, and although I do like it, it's a little too sweet to make it my daily go-to. 

The main problem about this quest lies in my inability to understand notes. I do not have the sharpest or most knowledgable nose, so imagining scents gives me little clarity when trying to figure out what I may like. Therefore, my purchase has to be made after I test out my options in store, which requires time that I currently cannot afford to allocate. 
(Midterms are upon us and I am writing this during an extended study break...)
Even more frustrating is how many of these options are not readily available in every Sephora or department store nearby, thus requiring planning some trips to specialty stores that are farther from my neighboring towns. Good thing gas prices are so low right now...

Fresh -- Clearly, I have trouble narrowing things down. Either that, or I am not the greatest judge of my preferences in scents.
  • Pink Jasmine -- I tend to quite like floral scents. Many people turn them down because they are often deemed *more mature* and *grandma-esque* but I appreciate their freshness. Sometimes, they do come off rather strong and grassy, which makes me apprehensive about this one staying as a contender. 
  • Sugar Lychee -- This scent always gets a sniff from me when in Sephora. There's just something about its lychee martini *vibes* that keeps drawing me to it. I'm generally a sucker for all lychee everything (it closely follows the rambutan on my list of favorite fruits), so I wouldn't be surprised if this one becomes the one
  • Fig Apricot -- I am weirdly mystified by figs. I mean, I always loved fig newtons as a child, and I had my first fresh figs earlier this summer (delicious!), but I have no idea what they smell like. For some reason, I always conjure up a very sharp, blackberry-ish fruitiness when i think of them, and I am not too keen about that powerful a scent. Also, apricots are a hit or miss for me. Therefore, this one definitely needs in-store testing. 
  • Sake -- For an avid fan of Tastemade's Local Flight, I have very little knowledge on alcohol. Not only do many smell the same to me, I have no idea what sake tastes or smells like. The notes are all a combination of fruity, floral, and earthy elements with the heart notes being "white peach absolute, lotus flower, and transparent lily of the valley." I have no idea what to make of that, so a sniff test must be done for more clarity. A reviewer did comment, however, that it pairs well with pumpkin spice body products...so this may be perfect for any PS enthusiasts on a similar quest to mine. 
  • Cannabis Rose -- The idea of a cannabis-scented fragrance seems kinda badass to me. Skimming the notes tells me that it does indeed have  a heart note of cannabis accord, but the fragrance mainly seems to be a combination of mellow and spicy elements. Apparently the top notes of bergamot rose are significant enough to be included in the main title of the perfume. 
Side note: I apologize to any perfume enthusiasts shaking their heads at my lack of knowledge.

I was originally going to make this post an all-encompassing one, commenting on all my current options. Once I started writing, however, I quickly became overwhelmed by all the products in which I am interested. 

Keep tabs on this space for at least parts two and three for my thoughts on the Maison Martin Margiela 'Replica' line and the Byredo collection. 

Also, if any of you have any comments on any of the products mentioned above, please share! I would love to know about the wear and longevity,  and their trueness to their described notes! 

Thanks for reading :)  
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Haha for some reason I keep thinking that if you had a cannabis scented scent, you would just walk around smelling like a pothead, but I know that's probably not the case. Good luck with the hunt for your next perfume!

    JennifHsieh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Intense Pleasure by Estee Lauder...in a white mauve long bottle. Next season I will mail leechies for you...we have plenty here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem. I end up going to sephora and trying all the things... and then end up sort of confused. I do remember two fragrances I really liked last time I was at sephora-- the Clean line because they all smell like fresh laundry and Elizabeth and James white nirvana. The fresh Pink Jasmine one sounds so good to me, matronly vibes be damned! I hope you end up finding the perfume :)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bottles look so cute!
    I think Pink Jasmine would be the best!

    Sugarcandycandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps! I have yet to test these out, but maybe it will be *the one*
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the Elizabeth & James ones! I have several samples at home, too. I will make sure to check out the Clean line the next time I pop into Sephora, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea, I'm kind of wary about that as well -- guess I'll find out soon enough if the scent smells like straight up weed or not :)

    ReplyDelete

© Sampz and Such. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig